• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

What's the best way to get back into a healthy lifestyle?

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Hi guys,

I am keen to get back into training and losing weight again whilst also maintaining healthy eating.

At the start of this year I was doing a mixture of cardio and calasthenics (Body weight training). More or less it was 1 day of long distance running for an hour then the other days were rotated doing various body weight exercises. However my depression kicked in bad and so I got 22 kilos back, yay :)

Any how at present I am drinking and smoking whilst eating crap food. I know going cold turkey on these isn't going to help as I have tried this already and the anxiety that comes from the wd is unbarable. So would anyone have any suggestions?

If anyone is kind enough to reply it would mean a great deal to me as you would be influencing my life for the better.

Thank you

Hey noonoo,

At least in terms of smoking, try reducing your intake. Monitor how many ciggies you have a day on a graph, and never allow the graph to go up, only down. Also try switching to drum tobacco so you roll it yourself. I too can't do cold turkey, but by cutting down, its the first step to quitting. I'm down to two rolled cigarettes a day.

Hey, noonoo. You're on the right track: At least you're asking for help with this!

The first step as far as eating healthier is to not bring the shit into the house. If you do the grocery shopping, that's easy. If you don't, ask whoever it is to not get what you like. If you eat out a lot, limit your budget to say, $20 a week.

With smoking, I agree you could try tapering it off, but I know from experience that that has never worked for me (tried it numerous times). What did work for me was picking up a copy of Allen Carr's The Easy Way To Stop Smoking. For the price of one pack, you will possibly be smoke-free by the end of it. I quit halfway through reading. Also, remember: It's mind over matter. While smoking is physically addictive, within three days, your body no longer wants it: It's all in your head. Sure, the mental triggers will still be there--But once you've been away from it for awhile, you won't want to put that filth in your body. I quit smoking in March. Yesterday while walking on campus, I heard someone packing a pack of cigarettes. Made me want one. Then I realized what I was thinking and thought "why would I want that shit in my body." It's truly a matter of mind over matter.

Sorry this was long winded. Hopefully it was somewhat helpful. Good luck!

For me, I just successfully quit smoking cigarettes after 9 years using dipping tobacco. Sounds gross, but hear me out.

I dropped the cigs cold turkey, but maintained my nicotine addiction using stronger forms of dip like Copenhagen pouches. After one tin of that shit, I moved to Skoal pouches - they have less nitrosamines as well as less nicotine. I used Skoal for about two weeks and, quite frankly, I became sick to death of it. Meanwhile, my lungs had begun the healing process and I dropped the dip due to disgust after 3 weeks altogether. And now - I dont have the urge to smoke cigarettes anymore, and the thought of putting nic into my body is horrific.

Most people see my method with disdain, but it was the ONLY way I could stop smoking. I don't mean to offer up another nicotine product, but the gum, lozenges, pill and patches didnt work. Tapering didn't work. Familial/girlfriend pressure didnt work. So if you are truly struggling, perhaps you might consider giving my unorthodox approach a try!

Good luck, man. It's amazing to be able to achieve full respiratory capacity again.

All the best,

~ vaya